The Life Tritó Montseny project (LIFE15 NATO/SE/000757) started on 1 October 2016. It was born from the need to protect the Montseny newt (Calotriton arnoldi), which is in a critical state of conservation. It will be carried out at a site of Community interest, the Natura 2000 Network (cod. SE5110001), during the years 2016-2020. The project will promote around fifty actions to ensure the conservation of this endemic species and its habitat. The actions will be carried out basically in the Montseny Natural Park and Biosphere Reserve, as well as in three breeding centres.
The Diputació de Barcelona, through the area of Territory and Sustainability, coordinates this project, in which the following also participate as partners: the Diputació de Girona, the Generalitat de Catalunya (Department of Territory and Sustainability. Directorate General of Environmental Policies), the Barcelona Zoo and Forestal Catalana, SA.
Specifically, the objectives are as follows:
- Establish greater legal coverage of the Montseny newt.
- Ensure the viability of wild populations of the species and expand their range.
- Improve the quality and quantity of water in the streams, preserve the riverside forest and improve ecological connectivity.
- Increase knowledge of the biology of the Montseny newt and reveal its ecological requirements and threats.
- Involve and involve the agents of the territory and society in general in the conservation of the riverside habitat and its biodiversity.
To achieve these objectives, we will carry out a series of actions:
- Include the Montseny newt in the European Habitats Directive, draw up its Conservation Plan and establish protection zones.
- Promote preventive management, improve surveillance and increase captive breeding to repopulate this amphibian.
- Restore the native riparian forest, reduce water extracted from streams, improve wastewater treatment and promote the use of rainwater.
- Promote collaboration between scientists and managers of the natural environment. Monitor the Montseny newt and the actions carried out during the project.
- Promote communication and awareness of the project at the local level through information material, the digital environment and social networks.
Graphic image of the project.